Google
 
RSS - Circle of 13

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Bob Black: The Abolition of Work and other essays

Part I: The Abolition of Work

"Abolition" originated as a speech at the Gorilla Grotto in San Francisco,
an "adult play environment," in February 1981. Proprietor Gary Warne, who
later became a policeman, has denounced the event as the worst spectacle he's
ever staged, and he must have meant it since he later had his goons beat me
up. Intrigued by the posters of the Last International, Warne challenged me
to "put your foot where your mouth is." I put it somewhere else. The
exclusion of a noisy group of punks who, at my instigation, tried to get in
without paying was only one of the evening's diversions.
Five years later I revised and greatly expanded the spiel into the following
essay, while retaining, I think, much of its feel as a speech. It has pride
of place because I still think, as many of the other texts assert in
particular contexts, that work as the most fundamental negation of freedom
is an institution that must be addressed, and overcome, by anyone pretending
to have an interest in liberty. Anyone who ignores or evades the issue of
work itself may well be a "libertarian" (or for that matter a Marxist) but
he is no libertarian.

Introduction by Ed Lawrence

The Abolition of Work (1996 Revision)

Suggested Readings

Rants and Essays by Bob Black

source: http://www.inspiracy.com/black/

No comments: